To set up any additional email address (not just Posteo) in Windows 8 Mail, you require a Microsoft account. This needs to be set up before you can use Mail. If you do not want to do this, you can use Thunderbird instead of Windows 8 Mail. The instructions for Thunderbird are found here.
- To set up a new account, start Mail (the program) in Windows 8 (by clicking the Mail tile), move the cursor to the right edge of the screen and open “Settings” (by clicking the cog symbol).
- Go to “Accounts” and then “Other account”.
- Select “IMAP”.
- Enter your Posteo email address and password.
- For “Username”, enter your Posteo email address again, and for the incoming and outgoing email servers enter “posteo.de”.
- By clicking “Connect”, the setup is complete.
Setting up alias email addresses
Windows 8 Mail does not support alias adresses. To use aliases, please revert back to Thunderbird.